Glasgow is a magical city to visit all year round but it’s extra special in winter. As well and cultural and historic sights to visit, hundreds of great places to eat and drink and an always-warm welcome from locals, you have to find time to fit in all of the Christmas festivities that make the city sparkle in November and December. We’re looking forward to Christmas lights, ice skating, Christmas markets, lots of family-friendly activities and so much more. Book affordable, comfortable family accommodation in PREMIER SUITES Glasgow and explore the city from a luxury suite, big enough for the whole family.
Winterfest is back from 10th Nov 2023 to 7th Jan 2024 and we’re very excited to see what surprises this year has in store! Every year, two locations in Glasgow George Square and St Enoch Square are transformed into a winter wonderland with things to do for all of the family. Both locations are free to enter and you could easily spend a couple of days exploring the best of both. Everyone is welcome to take part in the festivities, enjoy the lights and soak up the festive atmosphere. The events double as a fundraising platform for Power over Poverty, an initiative which aims to help 500 families in Scotland with their utility bills over the Christmas period.
Glasgow Winterfest at George Square will be open from Saturday 25th November to Sunday 7th January. It’s a definite highlight of the winter season and should be on your list of things to do in Glasgow. Some of the highlights of Winterfest at George Square include;
- If you’ve ever fancied yourself as part of the new Torvill and Dean, or just want to practice so you’re less Bambi on Ice, Winterfests Ice Rink is a great place to start. Glide through a winter wonderland hand in hand with your loved ones and practice your pirouettes. The rink is open from 25th November and is one of the main attractions of Winterfest, so is sure to be busy. Booking is required so make sure to grab a time slot that suits you to avoid disappointment.
- Warm up after skating or shopping at the Festival Bar where you’ll find a great selection of hot and cold drinks, whatever you fancy. It’s a great place to meet friends for a festive catch-up or an after-work drink. The bar is the perfect festive setting to get you in the Christmas spirit.
- If you’ve never been at a silent disco, now is the time to discover the fun of it! Every person gets their own set of headphones, tuned to the music you love so you can enjoy a private party in your head while dancing with everyone else. It’s a very unique experience and even funnier to enjoy as a spectator!
- The Festive Funfair is back in town. Take your children, big and little, to the Square and enjoy the big wheel, helter-skelter, traditional carousel, and other fun kid’s attractions. It’s a great way to create new memories with your family and friends and there is nothing too scary for those who don’t like thrills
- If you or one of your family or friends gets overwhelmed by crowds and loud noises, but you don’t want to miss out on the fun, Winterfest is ideal. Their Sensory and Quiet Zone is a tranquil space designed for those with sensory needs. Chill out in the quiet zone for as long as you like before returning to the festivities, when you’re ready.
- Community Hub is a brand-new addition for Christmas 2023, showcasing local artists and talents, including dancers, singers, and musicians. We’re excited to see some of our favourite local performers and talents on stage!
- It wouldn’t be Christmas without a Christmas Market! We’re excited to visit the selection of festive stalls featuring local businesses selling a variety of gifts, toys, food, drink and so much more.
Glasgow Winterfest at St Enoch Square will be open from Friday 10th November to Saturday 30th December and has unique offerings including the Festive Bar where you can sip on your favourite seasonal drinks in a cosy and cheerful atmosphere. St Enoch Square will be brimming with surprises and activities to make your winter festivities complete.
Author Bio: Katie McGarr is a resident writer for PREMIER SUITES Glasgow George Square, a modern and stylish serviced apartment that provides business and leisure travelers the perfect place to stay in Glasgow UK. When she’s not petting her cat, you can see this free-spirited blogger writing articles about travel, food, and lifestyle.